3 C's Diet and Fitness Series: Chance #1 - My Gym Routine





Gym. Heaven to some, hell to others. Throughout school I was never the one to jump at fitness, gym programmes or sports games. It wasn't until 2 years ago when I really began thinking about incorporating the gym in to my everyday life. My two best chums at the time were both members at the local gym, so I took the chance a started a membership. I haven't looked back since. I also have a gym membership at Uni meaning I can still keep on top of my fitness even during term time.

Over the last couple of months (apart from this week, birthday week = lazy), I have really stepped up my gym routine in order to get summer ready. The exact machines I use in my routine often change daily/weekly/whenever I feel like it BUT the basis of my routine involved 30-50min cardio and 20min-30min strength and resistance. I will often only go to the gym merely for their cardio and come home to do my strength exercises' through Pilates. However, for this post, I am going to take you through my gym routine when I stay their for the full programme.

I usually arrive at the gym at around 5.30ish, this time works well for me. I get very hungry which often leads me to become nauseated after the gym, however if I go at this time I know that as soon as I return home it will be dinner time. This also stands as an important element of my motivation to complete my workout.

My Routine
 
1./  I head over to the treadmill for my warm up, power walking/slow jogging for 5 minutes, this gets my heart rate up ready for the big stuff.
 
2./  My Cardio - this is often where I chop and change.
If I am feeling motivated and determined I stay of the treadmill starting regular sprint/jog/speed walk intervals at 30 secs to 2 mins each. I will keep doing this for 15-20 minutes.
Another thing I will do is hop onto the cross trainer and simply stay on it for 30 minutes. I find it a lot less physically and mentally strenuous than the treadmill but it also burns a decent amount of calories if done at a high level and speed.
The bike is a machine I turn to every time I go to the gym, even if it is just for 5 minutes. I wack the level up to 10 and cycle to my hearts content.
Another is the hill climber. It is an absolute killer and I usually hate every second of it, but once Im done I feel hella good! My top tip is to set your self a time or metres climbed and have something to reach before you stop.
The rowing machine is my last set of cardio. I often set to 1000m and see how quickly I can complete it.
I switch these up often to make up the amount of minutes doing cardio.
 
3./ Toning -
Power Plate - I hop onto the power plate. A vibrating plate that makes your muscles contract twice as much. I will do push ups, planks, sits up and squats on this machine. 20 reps 10 sets.
I usually only do matt work when I am at home doing Pilates, which will be a different post.
 
4./ Cooling Down-
I hop back onto the treadmill and walk slowly often on 5 speed on a slight incline. I do this for 5 minutes until my heart is slowing down and muscles are feeling a little looser.
I will then head over to the matts and do a couple of stretches. I really need to make stretches more prominent in my routine but that is simply down to laziness.
 
 
 
The amount I go to the gym often varies but it is usually no less than 4 times a week. I now enjoy going, and love the feeling of improving my body.
 
 
What is your gym routine?
 
 
 
 
 
xxx
 

 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the kind comment on my blog. you're right there is defiantly something 80s inspired about them
    I can't do the gym- I've tried it a few times but it kills my back. I keep telling myself ilk get a good sports bra and try again but I still haven't. I'm so lazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is inspiring, I pretty much give up exercising everyday. 'I'm so done' has become my catch-line. I know I should keep going and it will pay off, in the end. Being fit is the only way of life.

    -Ru
    Glitter & Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Im going to do a post on motivation soon! Consistency is key xxx

      Delete

I read and reply to everyone of your comments! Thanks for putting a smile on my face :D